The (Brian Jonestown) Massacre Continues
Published Jul 18, 2008On Thursday, July 17, we brought you a story about the train wreck often known as Brian Jonestown Massacre. In it, we told you how their show this week in London, UK descended into chaos, with the police being called in to break up a nasty backstage scuffle that sent one band member to the emergency room.
Well, today several British media outlets have reported it was guitarist Frankie Emerson who was sent to the hospital after being attacked by singer Anton Newcombe. And according to an official police statement, it seems Newcombe did a bit more than just rough the guy up a bit.
"We were called by London ambulance at 11:09 to reports of a man being stabbed at the Forum club in Highgate Road, Kentish Town, the statement reads. "A 35-year-old man [Emerson] was taken to hospital suffering from minor stab injuries. A 40-year-old man [Newcombe] was arrested and later released with no further action because the victim did not want to substantiate any allegation.
Now, Brian Jonestown Massacre have released a statement of their own, denying all claims that Newcombe in fact stabbed Emerson and blaming the guitarists injuries on "glass splinters and "horseplay.
Below is the full statement by the band and well leave it up to you draw your own conclusions about what actually happened that night.
With regards to the incident that took place on Wednesday night 16th July 2008 at the Forum in London, the facts to the story are:
1. There was no knife or knives involved in any shape or form in this incident.
2. The cuts to Frankie Emerson were caused by some glass splinters.
3. Frankie Emersons injuries were superficial to his arm and stomach; he was treated at the Royal Free Hospital in London.
4. These injuries were caused by horseplay by the band in their own changing room after the gig.
5. Anton Newcombe was questioned at Kentish Police Station to help the police with their enquiries and was released with no charge or caution.
6. Frankie Emerson did not press any charges on Anton Newcombe.
7. Any comments by anyone within or outside the media to the contrary are completely false.
8. The band will continue with their successful European tour.
Brian Jonestown Massacre live In Paris