Woody Allen Went on TV to Defend Himself Against That HBO Documentary

Woody Allen Went on TV to Defend Himself Against That HBO Documentary
The decades-long sexual assault allegations lodged against Woody Allen were investigated once again in HBO's recent Allen v. Farrow documentary. The disgraced filmmaker had been invited to make an appearance on the show to defend himself, but did not oblige. Instead, he appeared on CBS Sunday Morning for a sit-down interview. 

Allen's interview had been taped way back in July 2020, long before the series aired. As such, it's unlikely he had seen the cut that aired on HBO. Still, Allen took the opportunity to defend himself.

"It's so preposterous, and yet the smear has remained," he said regarding allegations that he sexually abused his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow in 1992. "And they still prefer to cling to if not the notion that I molested Dylan, the possibility that I molested her. Nothing that I ever did with Dylan in my life could be misconstrued as that."

He also once again implied that Mia Farrow planted the story in Dylan's mind. "I believe she thinks it," Allen said. "She was a good kid. I do not believe that she's making it up. I don't believe she's lying. I believe she believes that."

Upon its airing, Allen called the HBO documentary Allen v. Farrow a "hatchet job." You can watch a trailer for the show below.