The Melvins Grab Krist Novoselic, OFF!'s Steve McDonald and More for 'Basses Loaded'
Published Mar 07, 2016Though the Melvins are just about to issue their long-gestating Three Men and a Baby release with godheadsilo bassist Mike Kunka, there's going to a be a barrage of new music from the sludge vets coming our way this year too. Basses Loaded, a new full-length featuring low-end work from the likes of Nirvana's Krist Novoselic, Redd Kross/OFF!'s Steve McDonald and more is due June 3 through Ipecac.
A press release explains that the forthcoming, 12-song set features six different bass players. Joining guitarist Buzz Osborne and drummer Dale Crover throughout the album are Novoselic, and McDonald, as well as longtime collaborators J.D. Pinkus (Butthole Surfers), Jared Warren (Big Business), and Trevor Dunn (Mr. Bungle/Fantomas).
The band also deliver three songs in their "1983" configuration, meaning Crover handles four-string duties, while Mike Dillard plays drums.
Below, you'll find a full tracklisting explaining who plays on what. Additionally, you'll find a stream of the record's Steve McDonald-driven "Hideous Woman."
As previously reported, the Melvins lineup of Osborne, Crover and McDonald will be heading out on the road this spring for a North American tour with Napalm Death and Melt Banana. The trip includes stops in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. You'll find the full details over here.
As for Three Men and a Baby, that record arrives April 1 via Sub Pop. As previously reported, the collection comprises recording sessions started up in the late '90s between the Melvins and godheadsilo member Mike Kunka, which were shelved before being completed last year.
1. The Decay of Lying (Steve McDonald)
2. Choco Plumbing (Jared Warren)
3. Beer Hippie (Dale Crover, a.k.a Melvins 1983 line-up)
4. I Want To Tell You (Steve McDonald)
5. Captain Come Down (JD Pinkus)
6. Hideous Woman (Steve McDonald)
7. Shaving Cream (Dale Crover, a.k.a Melvins 1983 line-up)
8. Planet Distructo (Trevor Dunn, a.k.a Melvins Lite line-up)
9. War Pussy (Steve McDonald)
10. Maybe I Am Amused (Krist Novoselic)
11. Phyllis Dillard (Dale Crover, a.k.a Melvins 1983 line-up)
12. Take Me Out To The Ballgame (Dale Crover, a.k.a Melvins 1983 line-up)