Eagles of Death Metal Removed from French Festivals over Jesse Hughes' Muslim Conspiracy Comments
Published May 20, 2016Eagles of Death Metal have been dropped from a pair of upcoming French festivals after frontman Jesse Hughes once again insinuated that security at Paris venue Le Bataclan was complicit in last November's terrorist attacks, with the entire incident being the result of a Muslim "conspiracy."
As the BBC reports, the band have been removed from the Rock En Seine and Cabaret Vert summer festivals, stemming from comments Hughes has made to the media alleging that security guards had prior knowledge to the attack at the venue that left more than 90 people dead. A statement from Rock En Seine explains that organizers are "in total disagreement with Jesse Hugues' recent allegations."
While Hughes had apologized in March for insinuating the connection in an earlier interview, explaining that he has been "struggling through therapy to make sense of this tragedy and insanity," he expressed his feelings again last week in an interview with Taki.
"There's no denying the terrorists were already inside, and they had to get in somehow," Hughes said in the recent interview. "During the shooting I went outside and the backstage door was propped open. How did that happen?"
He added later in the interview: "I kept opening up the back door to smoke and that's usually a big no-no because of the sound ordinances. I've played there before and opening up that door to smoke got you in big trouble. This time, the security guy walks right past me and anxiously looks down the alleyway in either direction."
Elsewhere in the interview, Hughes said that two women in "traditional Muslim garb" had been in the venue ahead of the show and "vanished before the shooting." He said that "they knew people wouldn't check them because of the way they were dressed. They got caught a few days later."
The talk, with former Vice co-founder Gavin McInnes (who left the company in 2006), weighs in on Islamophobia, "the fear of offending Muslims," seeing civilians and police officers being shot by terrorists and more.
When asked by the publication if he thought a percentage of the security staff was Muslim, Hughes replied, "I know they were."
He added, "I watched about seven people die. A couple of them were three feet from the barrier. They could have fallen backwards and been alive but they were too scared to even turn around. I remember a woman just standing with her hands up in a surrender pose. The terrorist finally saw her and all she did was go, 'No no no.' She surrendered to death in front of my very eyes. I was yelling at her, 'HEY!' and I don't think she could hear me. She was so terrified, I think she'd already given up."
Hughes has not yet responded to the band being removed from the summer festivals, while Le Bataclan still strongly denies Hughes' claims.
You can read the full interview with Taki over here.