Bryan Singer Settles Sexual Assault Lawsuit for $150,000
The claim alleged Singer had sexually assaulted a 17-year-old boy
Published Jun 13, 2019Director Bryan Singer has faced numerous allegations of sexual misconduct for decades, including claims he acted inappropriately with underage actors on numerous occasions. One of those cases has now been settled, however, after Singer paid out $150,000 USD.
In a lawsuit that was filed in 2017, Cesar Sanchez-Guzman claimed Singer sexually assaulted him at a yacht party when he was just 17 in 2003. Since then, Sanchez-Guzman filed for bankruptcy in 2014. As a result, the settlement became a key factor in bankruptcy court.
According to the New York Times, Sanchez-Guzman's bankruptcy trustee Nancy James said that the statute of limitations and the lack of evidence in the case work in favour of a settlement — not to mention the money Sanchez-Guzman was owing in his bankruptcy claim.
Despite paying out the hefty sum, Singer has denied any wrongdoing and continuously claimed nothing took place on the yacht.
His lawyer said, "Mr. Singer has denied even knowing this individual, let alone allegedly having interacted with him more than 15 years ago. The decision to resolve the matter with the bankruptcy trustee was purely a business one, as litigation costs would well exceed the amount requested by the trustee to pay off the creditors who were owed money when the debtor filed for bankruptcy."
There are four other claims of sexual misconduct lodged against Singer in a piece from The Atlantic. The resulting backlash of the piece meant Singer's next movie was shelved.