Richard Kelly Is Plotting a 'Donnie Darko' Sequel
Published Jan 26, 2017Richard Kelly's 2001 cult classic Donnie Darko celebrated its 15th anniversary with a newly restored edition last year. Now, the director has revealed that he hasn't ruled out a return to the film's universe to put together a follow-up.
Speaking with HMV, Kelly said he thinks "there's something much bigger and more ambitious to do in that universe."
"It's big and expensive and I think there's time to get to that," he said. "I want to make sure we've got the budget to do it justice and not to compromise anything. Another story in this world needs resources and we need to have that in place. I need to get my next film out of the gate and then we can go back and look at it."
Elsewhere in the interview, Kelly expressed pride in seeing where Donnie Darko stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone and Seth Rogen have taken their careers since acting the film.
"When you work with someone so early in their career you have a really great personal connection, especially me as a writer/director," he said. "You might only work together for a few weeks, but it's there on film and it's an incredibly intimate process. I'll always root for them."
Kelly also revealed plans to step back behind a camera this year, pointing to projects that are "all very ambitious and expensive."
You can read the full conversation here.