Richard Kelly Says "a Lot of Work Has Been Done" on a 'Donnie Darko' Sequel
"I'm hopeful that we might get to explore that world in a very big and exciting way"
Published Jan 26, 2021Donnie Darko celebrated its 20th anniversary earlier this month, and three years on from mentioning a possible sequel, director Richard Kelly has offered an update on its status.
Speaking with ComingSoon, Kelly was asked about the development of a second film in the Donnie Darko universe. In 2017, the director expressed that "there's something much bigger and more ambitious to do in that universe."
"Well, I'm probably not allowed to say anything more than there has been an enormous amount of work completed," Kelly told ComingSoon. "I'm hopeful that we might get to explore that world in a very big and exciting way. But we'll see what happens. But there has been a lot of work done. A lot of work has been done."
Kelly had explained to HMV in 2017, "It's big and expensive and I think there's time to get to that. I want to make sure we've got the budget to do it justice and not to compromise anything. Another story in this world needs resources and we need to have that in place. I need to get my next film out of the gate and then we can go back and look at it."
Released in 2001, Donnie Darko stars Jake Gyllenhaal as the titular teenager, who is searching for the meaning of his doomsday-related visions.
To mark the film's anniversary milestone this month, Gyllenhaal shared on Instagram, "It's been unreal to watch this story find afterlives with new audiences and new generations, and yet, what Donnie said to Roberta Sparrow is still true: 'there is so much to look forward to.'"