SOCAN Songwriting Prize Unveils 2019 Finalists
Kaytranada, Dilly Dally, grandson, Anemone, Clairmont The Second and more are all up for the award
Published Jun 03, 2019The SOCAN Songwriting Prize is back, and the 2019 nominees have just been revealed.
As always, the award celebrates the songwriting talents of Canadian artists, and the nominees "span a wide range of genres, showcasing the varied musical styles of the nominees, and emblematic of the youthful diversity of Canada itself," states a press release.
Among the 10 nominees up for the 2019 SOCAN Songwriting Prize are the likes of Kaytranada, Dilly Dally, MorMor, grandson, Anemone and Clairmont The Second.
2019 SOCAN Songwriting Prize Nominees:
● "Bad Biology" – written by Elizabeth Ball, Kathleen Monks, Benjamin Reinhartz, James Anthony Rowlinson; performed by Dilly Dally.
● "Blood//Water" – written by Chester Krupa Carbone, Kevin Hissink, Jordan Benjamin; performed by grandson; published by B Height Music, SONY ATV Music Publishing Canada.
● "Chances" – written by Kevin Celestin, Shanice Mohamed, Anthony Pierre; performed by Kaytranada feat. Shay Lia; published by Casablanca Media Publishing Inc.
● "Elephant Man" – written by Sam Lucia, Geoff Millar; performed by So Loki; published by Owake Records.
● "Hang Ups" – written by Scott Helman, Thomas Salter, Gordie Sampson, Simon Wilcox; performed by Scott Helman; published by EMI April Music Canada, SONY ATV Music Publishing Canada.
● "Payback" – written by Sarah Hagen, Maxwell Pankiw, Isaiah Steinberg; performed by Bad Child.
● "She's The One" – written by Chloé Soldevila, Miles Dupire-Gagnon, Gabriel Lambert, Zachary Irving; performed by Anemone.
● "Soundboi" – written by Dominique Dias, John Samuels; performed by Just John + Dom Dias.
● "Tortoise" – written by Clairmont Humphrey II; performed by Clairmont The Second.
● "Whatever Comes To Mind" – written by Seth Nyquist, Adrian Cook; performed by MorMor.
The winner will be selected by fan voting, which opens today and runs through June 17. You can listen to all of the nominated songs and vote for this year's winner here. You can also vote via social media by tweeting the name of your favourite nominee with the hashtag #mySSPvote.
The winning songs are scheduled to be announced the week of June 17. The winner will receive a $10,000 prize, as well as a Yamaha PSR-S975 keyboard and a $500 gift card from Long & McQuade — not to mention serious bragging rights.
In addition, the 10 song finalists for the 2019 Prix de la chanson SOCAN — the Francophone counterpart to the SOCAN Songwriting Prize — have also been revealed. You can see those below all below as well.
2019 Prix de la chanson SOCAN Nominees:
● "Best I'll Never Have (version française)" – written by Brandon Mignacca, John Nathaniel, Mariane Cossette-Bacon; performed by Brandon Mig; published by John Nathaniel Productions Inc.
● "Fille de personne II" – written by Hubert Chiasson; performed by Hubert Lenoir.
● "La valse des trottoirs" – written by Tommy Bélisle, Philippe Gauthier Boudreau, Thierry Malépart, Marc-Antoine Barbier, Félix Bélisle; performed by Choses Sauvages; published by Avenue Editorial.
● "Manche ouverte" – written by Simon Bolduc; performed by Bolduc tout croche.
● "On fouette" – written by Teddy Laguerre, Shawn Volcy, Marc Casseus, Vladimi Methelus; performed by Tizzo, feat. Shreez.
● "Pas né" – written by Obia Magloire Pierre-Louis, Amhed Saghir; performed by Obia le chef; published by Disques 7ième Ciel.
● "Premier juin " – written by Lydia Képinski; performed by Lydia Képinski.
● "T'as pas cru" – written by Sarahmée Ouellet, Thomas Lapointe, Diego Montenegro, Ingrid Phd Prifti; performed by Sarahmée.
● "Tercel" – written by Vincent Roberge, Félix Petit, Simon Saint Hillier; performed by Les Louanges; published by Éditions Bonsound.
● "Zaybae" – written by Léo Fougère, Clément Langlois-Légaré, Tom St-Laurent; performed by FouKi; published by Disques 7ième Ciel.