Bill Cosby Denies Plans for a Sexual Assault Speaking Tour
In a statement he called the news "propaganda" despite it coming from his own publicists
Published Jun 27, 2017Last week, Bill Cosby's publicists capitalized on his sexual assault mistrial by telling a morning TV show that they were planning a series of town halls where the former comedy star would discuss how to avoid sexual assault allegations. Now, Cosby has denied these claims.
"The current propaganda that I am going to conduct a sexual assault tour is false," Cosby said through his spokesman Andrew Wyatt. "Any further information about public plans will be given at the appropriate time."
It's an odd choice of words considering the news of the tour was disseminated by Wyatt himself alongside Ebonee Benson. While appearing on Good Day Alabama last week, the pair detailed plans for a speaking tour.
Wyatt said that young people, and especially young athletes, need to "know what they're facing when they're hanging out and partying, when they're doing certain things they shouldn't be doing."
"Laws are changing. The statute of limitations for victims of sexual assault are being extended," added Benson. "So this is why people need to be educated…. A brush against the shoulder, anything at this point can be considered sexual assault. It's a good thing to be educated about the laws."
Angela Agrusa, one of Cosby's defense attorneys, told the Associated Press that she "can't imagine" Cosby would discuss these issues while still facing charges.
The court case that ended in a mistrial is currently expected to be refiled. Another sexual assault case, stemming from allegations in 1974 at the Playboy Mansion, has had its court date set for July 30, 2018.
In total, more than 50 women have accused Bill Cosby of sexual assault.