More Light Shed on Jay Bennett's Life in the Lead-Up to His Death

More Light Shed on Jay Bennett's Life in the Lead-Up to His Death
As we found out early this week, former Wilco member Jay Bennett passed away in his Illinois home Sunday morning (May 24). At this point, the cause of death is still unknown.

His family, however, has said there will be no funeral or memorial service to mark his passing, but already there are talks of a memorial concert sometime in the near future, according to Bennett's old label, Undertow Records. Also, the official Jay Bennett mailing list recently sent out an update on the circumstances leading up to the musician's death. We thought it appropriate to share it with you.

The message in full reads:  

Our good friend Jay Walter Bennett left us this weekend. As news hits the wires so instantaneously these days, we thought it was important to share some thoughts about our friend and brother before any rumors got out of hand.

First, let it be known that Jay was in a really good place these past few years. He had returned to the area he loved - the "Twin Cities," Champaign-Urbana - and resurrected his studio, Pieholden Suite Sound, with the assistance of many dear friends and allies. Jay had been busy making music. He recently had released an intimate record entitled
Whatever Happened I Apologize, and he was looking forward to wrapping up his new work, Kicking at the Perfumed Air. Proud of finishing a trilogy of records, including Bigger Than Blue, The Beloved Enemy, and The Magnificent Defeat, Jay loved the balanced yet ironic album titles. He was also looking forward to engineering and releasing Titanic Love Affair's previously unreleased record, as well as starting work on The Palace at 4 a.m. Part II, the follow-up to his post-Wilco debut with Edward Burch. "Jay the Academic" had also reemerged, pursuing his umpteenth degree at the University of Illinois, and he was thrilled to be taking graduate classes again.

As many of you may be aware, Jay had finally found the courage to put his Wilco issues out into the public forum. After a long, four-year process (and therefore very much unrelated to his impending hip surgery), formal filings against Wilco were finally initiated. This task was very emotional for Jay. He was a "lover," and this confrontation was not easy for him. With the exception of his final period in Wilco, Jay looked back on his time in the band with great fondness and pride. While he was dismayed that some people may have formed a narrow perception of him via the "documentary," all who truly knew him understood that with most entertainment media, editing is usually constructed for dramatic effect and presents only a small part of a larger, more complex reality.

So, please spend some time this week engaging in Jay's favorite passions: listen to a Nick Lowe album, watch some
Mythbusters on Discovery, play Warren Zevon's "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner," rent Pay It Forward (one of his favorite movies), write a song with the TV on and the sound off, and focus on how Jay always concluded his communications: "Love, Jay."