Kate Bush Never Had Any Intention of Performing at Coachella
Coachella claims it turned her down, but the singer's rep says she had "no discussions" about playing the festival
Published Apr 11, 2017A recent New Yorker profile of Paul Tollett, the CEO behind festival promotions giant Goldenvoice, spawned a tale that Coachella reportedly turned down the opportunity to have Kate Bush perform at the California festival. Tollett was quoted as saying, "No! No one is going to understand it."
Now, Bush's rep has responded to the claim, saying that the singer never had any intention of playing Coachella.
"It was never Kate's intention to play any more shows than she did in London," reads a statement from Bush's rep. "The show was conceived for a very specific type of venue. No discussions were ever had with Kate about playing any festival, including Coachella."
It should be pointed out that the New Yorker piece never quoted Tollett directly about Bush, with Marc Geiger of the William Morris Endeavour agency instead relaying to the publication what Tollett allegedly said about the performer.
Bush returned to the live stage for the first time in 35 years when she staged a 15-night residency at the Hammersmith Apollo in London back in 2014. Last year, those shows were turned into a live album and concert film called Before the Dawn.
Had Bush reached an agreement to play Coachella, it would have marked her first ever North American performance.
Instead, this year's instalment of the festival will boast headlining sets from Radiohead, Kendrick Lamar and a last-minute fill-in from Lady Gaga. The festival will run for two weekends in Indio, CA, from April 14 to 16 and again from April 21 to 23.