Capitol Rioter Turned Informant Jon Schaffer Is Now out of Jail
You can even watch footage of the Iced Earth member's release
Published Apr 22, 2021After agreeing to a plea deal, Iced Earth guitarist Jon Schaffer was finally released from jail today and is now out on bail.
Today the far-right figure was released after pleading guilty to two out of six charges against him, in addition to agreeing to work with authorities to prosecute his fellow participants in the January 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol.
Cameras were there to see Schaffer's release, and you can watch some footage below where he can be seen meeting who is presumed to be his romantic partner.
As Metal Injection lays out, Schaffer's bail is under the following conditions:
● He must submit to court supervision in Indiana.
● He must surrender his passport and international travelling documents.
● He must stay out of Washington D.C., outside of court hearings and attorney meetings.
● He will be permitted to travel within the US with notice to pretrial services.
● He cannot possess any firearms or explosive devices, even legally. Firearms must be removed from his home.
As previously reported, Schaffer pleaded guilty to two charges: obstruction of an official proceeding of Congress and trespassing on restricted grounds of the Capitol while armed with a deadly or dangerous weapon.
While those two charges could result in 30 years in prison, prosecutors and Schaffer's defence reportedly agreed to recommend between three and a half and four and a half years in prison, based on his cooperation.
In addition to Schaffer agreeing to help authorities prosecute other rioters, he's agreed to aid the U.S. government in its pursuit against far-right groups the Oath Keepers and the Proud Boys.