Armie Hammer Accused of Rape and Physical Assault
He's now the subject of a formal LAPD investigation and could face eight years in prison
Published Mar 18, 2021The following article contains potentially triggering material relating to sexual assault and violence. If you believe you have experienced or witnessed sexual misconduct and are looking for support, consult the Government of Canada's Sexual Misconduct Support Tool to find resources in your area.
Call Me By Your Name/Sorry to Bother You actor Armie Hammer has been accused of rape and violent physical abuse by a former partner, leading the star to now be the subject of a formal police investigation. If formally charged and found guilty, the actor could be facing up to eight years in prison.
Attorney Gloria Allred held a virtual press conference today, Variety reports, explaining that her client, a 24-year-old woman named Effie, had an on-and-off relationship with Hammer between 2016 and 2020.
"I met Armie Hammer on Facebook in 2016 when I was 20 years old. I fell in love with him instantly, the relationship progressed rapidly, and the emotions on both sides became really intense," Effie alleged through tears at today's conference.
She continued: "Looking back it is now clear to me, he was employing manipulation tactics in order to exert control over me until I started to lose myself. He would also test my devotion to him, finally removing and crossing my boundaries as he became increasingly more violent.
"He abused me mentally, emotionally and sexually. On April 24, 2017, Armie Hammer randomly raped me for over four hours in Los Angeles during which he repeatedly slammed my head against the wall, bruising my face. He also committed other acts of violence against me, to which I did not consent."
Hammer has denied all allegations against him.
In a statement to ET, Hammer's attorney, Andrew Brettler, said Effie's "correspondence with Mr. Hammer undermines and refutes her outrageous allegations," claiming that she sent graphic texts to Hammer as recently as 2020, indicating that she wished to be involved with him romantically.
Los Angeles police are currently investigating. The department began speaking with an unnamed female on February 3 and initiated a sexual assault investigation at that time.
"We can confirm that Armie Hammer is the named suspect in an alleged sexual assault investigation, initiated on February 3, 2021," LAPD officer Drake Madison told Deadline today.
The probe by the LAPD will be submitted to L.A. County District Attorney "fairly soon," a law enforcement sources told the publication. The D.A. Office's sex crime unit would then look over the case.
If found guilty of charges, Hammer could be sentenced to up to eight years in prison, according to Deadline.
Hammer was previously accused of cannibalism in a series of anonymous Instagram posts by an account called House fo Effie. He was later dropped by his agency WME.
Listen to a portion of Effie's statement below.