Anvil Prep 'Monument of Metal: The Very Best of Anvil'
Published Jul 27, 2011Canadian metal veterans Anvil have been on a roll the past few years. Their upward climb started, of course, with well-received Spinal Tap-verite doc Anvil! The Story of Anvil and the band kept the momentum going earlier this year with the release of their 14th full-length, Juggernaut of Justice. Now, the troupe keep the hits coming, literally, with the proper announcement of their career-spanning anthology.
A press release describes the soon-to-be-released Monument of Metal: The Very Best of Anvil as "a retrospective spanning the band's entire iconic career and a comprehensive heavy metal history lesson captured on record." From early tracks off 1981's Hard 'N' Heavy straight through to Juggernaut of Justice, the collection highlights the act's impact on the metal scene.
"This compilation demonstrates the full diversity of Anvil's sound and feel, from the classics though the dark years to the current," drummer Robb Reiner said in a statement. "These tracks are more to do with power and melody rather than just the speed aspect, although there relevant gems included here!"
Though plucking from all eras of their career meant reflecting on their long and un-prosperous middle period, the group knew it was important to show all sides of their oeuvre.
"These tracks are among some of our favourites," guitarist Steve "Lips" Kudlow added. "Picking them was not easy as, generally speaking, we love everything we've ever done... otherwise we wouldn't have recorded the music to begin with. This will serve as a great introduction to Anvil, as well as make for great listening pleasure for our old diehard fans. Enjoy and stay heavy!!!"
Monument of Metal: The Very Best of Anvil comes out September 27 via the End Records .
On top of their upcoming release, Anvil also have a handful of U.S. gigs this week. Check the details below.
Monument of Metal: The Very Best of Anvil:
1. "Metal On Metal" (Re-Record From This Is Thirteen 2009 / originally from Metal On Metal, 1982)
2. "Winged Assassins" (Re-Record, originally From Forged In Fire, 1983)
3. "666" (From This Is Thirteen, 2009)
4. "Thumbhang" (From This Is Thirteen, 2009)
5. "School Love" (Re-Record, originally from Hard 'N' Heavy, 1981)
6. "Heat Sink" (From Metal On Metal, 1982)
7. "March of the Crabs" (instrumental) (From Metal On Metal, 1982)
8. "Plenty of Power" (From Plenty Of Power, 2001)
9. "Mothra" (From Metal On Metal, 1982)
10. "Sins of the Flesh" (From Worth the Weight, 1992)
11. "Jackhammer" (live) (From Past And Present; Live In Concert, 1989)
12. "Juggernaut of Justice" (From Juggernaut of Justice, 2011)
13. "No One To Follow" (From Absolutely No Alternative, 1997)
14. "Mad Dog" (From Strength of Steel, 1997)
15. "Bottom Feeder" (From Back to Basics, 2004)
16. "Race Against Time" (From Still Going Strong, 2002)
17. "American Refugee" (From This Is Thirteen, 2007)
18. "Fire In The Night" (From Pound For Pound, 1988)
19. "Park That Truck" (From Speed of Sound, 1999)
7/27 Cleveland, OH - Grog Shop
7/29 West Chester, PA - The Note
7/30 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
7/31 Boston, MA - Middle East Club