Daptone Records to Release Gold Retrospective Featuring Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra
Published Sep 21, 2009Daptone Records is set to release Daptone Gold, a collection of the label's hit songs and rarities spanning the label's roster of soul, blues, Afrobeat, gospel and funk, on November 24.
Founded in 2001, Daptone has made quite a name for itself, releasing albums by everyone from Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings to the Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra. And Daptone Gold runs the gamut of the label, with songs delicately chosen from the imprint's vast library of LPs and 45s. Yep, 45s.
"Over the past decade, a lot of blood and sweat was shed in this little house in Bushwick, and when people experience all these recordings together in a package like this, they are really going to feel what the 'Daptone Sound' is all about," says Daptone co-owner Gabriel Roth, who also engineered the project and plays bass for Sharon Jones's band, in a press release. "I'm very proud of this record. It's hard evidence of what the Daptone family has accomplished. I'm also excited to finally have so many of my favourite Daptone cuts, many of which were previously only available on vinyl seven-inches, included on a proper album. People should really hear this."
The CD version will include unreleased tracks, songs previously only available on vinyl, extensive liner notes by Portland music writer Douglas Wolk and exclusive photos. A double LP version adds a deluxe gold-foil-embossed gatefold jacket, a coupon for downloads of all 23 tracks, a collage poster and a sticker.
Unreleased tracks include Binky Griptite's "A Lover Like Me" and a version of Gladys Knights' "Giving Up" by Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings. For a full track listing, see below.
1. Introduction by Binky Griptite
2. "I'm Not Gonna Cry" - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
3. "Up from the South" - The Budos Band
4. "What Have You Done" - Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens
5. "How Long Do I Have To Wait For You?" - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
6. "Could Have Been" - Lee Fields
7. "Che Che Cole Makossa" - Antibalas featuring Mayra Vega
8. "Budos Rising" - The Budos Band
9. "Got A Thing On My Mind" - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
10. "The World (Is Going Up in Flames)" - Charles Bradley & the Menahan Street Band
11. "Make It Good To Me" - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
12. "Stand Up" - Lee Fields and Sugarman & Co.
13. "What Is This" - Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens
14. "A Lover Like Me" - Binky Griptite with the Sugarman Three
15. "Make the Road by Walking" - Menahan Street Band
16. "Tell Me" - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
17. "Down to It" - Sugarman & Co.
18. "Nervous Like Me" - The Dap-Kings
19. "Giving Up" - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
20. "Ghostwalk" - The Budos Band
21. "I Need You to Hold My Hand" - The Gospel Queens featuring Cynthia Langston
22. "The Stroll Pt. 2" - Binky Griptite & the Mellomatics
23. "Stranded In Your Love" - Sharon Jones & Lee Fields