Dan Deacon Plots New EP and Two Albums

Dan Deacon Plots New EP and Two Albums
Baltimore, MD's Dan Deacon has been working hard to bridge the gap between high-art composing and dance-party madness since he started releasing records in 2003. Last year's Bromst was a landmark achievement that brought him to new heights as a musician, and this week he announced his follow-up plans: two new albums and an EP.

On Monday (April 12), Deacon made the following announcement on his Facebook:

New self-released EP of sad songs for console organ and voice will be out in a few weeks on a limited run of vinyl, cassette, and CD-R. More info on that soon. Also, new tour dates have been posted and next week I start recording two new albums with the ensemble, one of ragers and one of meditative ragers. Two thousand zen.

The EP does not have a title or release date, and it may even be released under a different moniker. However, Deacon has named the songs that will appear on the EP (see below).

In an email to Pitchfork, he said, "I've been wanting to release a record like this for some time and my current breakup has been the perfect catalyst to motivate me to finally do it. Unlike my other releases, this music will be much more low key, sparse, and I find the songs to be sad, although others might disagree."

In the same email, Deacon detailed his plans for the two new albums, specifying that one will be full of harder pop songs and the other will include long-form pieces. Here's what he had to say:

One album will be four larger-form pieces (around 20 minutes each, trying to keep them that length so they fill the side of a 12"). These are for my ensemble plus a large strings and brass section. The other will be more pop-song-length pieces, but a lot of the songs tend to be noisier and harder than my previous work... I would say I have 75% of these two albums finished, and I plan on writing the other 25% in the studio. I've always treated the studio as an afterthought and am always kind of rushing the process. It'll be really nice to just record at my own pace and finally be able to use the studio as an instrument to compose with/in, rather than as just a tool. I think it'll really help this work stand out from my previous releases.

New "sad" EP:

"That's Not My Own Face"

"So Long Old Friend"

"Stegosaurus One Eye"

"Past You"


"All I Have to Do Is Dream" (Everly Brothers cover)