The Who's Super Bowl Performance in Question Due to Pete Townshend's Pedophile Accusations
Published Jan 04, 2010As the Who's Pete Townshend is learning, an association with child pornography might not be the best for one's professional career. The legendary guitarist got in some legal hot water for purchasing access to a pedophile site in 2003.
While he claimed it was intended for research for his autobiography, which came out last year, the stunt got him listed on Britain's Violent and Sex Offender Register from 2003 to 2008. Though he's now technically in the clear, the actions might get in the way of the Who's scheduled performance at this year's Super Bowl.
The Daily Swarm points to a statement from Child Abuse Watch urging the NFL to reconsider the Who as their halftime show choice. The statement reads, "Townshend admitted to and pleaded guilty to the crime of accessing and paying for viewing child pornography online and received a 'caution' (guilty plea with adjudication withheld) from the police and avoided a formal trial. He was never cleared of any charges pertaining to his caution and resulting sex offender status."
The statement goes on to quote a suspicious 2002 article written by Townshend, which said that "pathway to 'free' pedophilic imagery is - as it were - laid out like a free line of cocaine at a decadent cocktail party: only the strong willed or terminally uncurious can resist."
Child Abuse Watch founder and CEO Evin Daly told the press, "The Who is a great band. Pete Townshend is the only issue here."
The NFL has responded to the organization's comments, saying that the football league still intend to let the Who perform at this year's halftime show. That response can be viewed here.