Sufjan Stevens to Release New Multimedia Project Complete with View-Master Reel and Comic Book
Published Jul 21, 2009While the world waits for the next album proper from eccentric singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens, the man himself continues to dabble in a variety of unique projects. The latest is an expansive release of his multimedia project inspired by the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway in New York City, simply called The BQE.
Sufjan was commissioned to write and perform the multimedia project with an orchestra back in late 2007, and has finally decided to release the project in album form on October 20 courtesy of Asthmatic Kitty.
The set includes a CD, a DVD with the vintage highway footage that back-dropped the performance, a 40-page booklet and a View-Master reel with BQE photos. As if that's not enough, a limited edition vinyl version will come with a full fledged comic book about the BQE starring some hula-hoopin' lasses called the Hooper Heroes.
If you're close to New York City, 92YTribeca will be hosting a release party on October 24, where they'll provide a showing of the film portion, as well as a performance from Osso. Stevens will be in attendance to introduce the film. Tickets will be on sale here on Thursday, July 23.
1. "Prelude on the Esplanade"
2. "Introductory Fanfare for the Hooper Heroes"
3. "Movement I-In the Countenance of Kings"
4. "Movement II-Sleeping Invader"
5. "Interlude I-Dream Sequence in Subi Circumnavigation"
6. "Movement III-Linear Tableau with Intersecting Surprise"
7. "Movement IV-Traffic Shock"
8. "Movement V-Self-Organizing Emergent Patterns"
9. "Interlude II-Subi Power Waltz"
10. "Interlude III-Invisible Accidents"
11. "Movement VI-Isorhythmic Night Dance with Interchanges"
12. "Movement VII (Finale)-The Emperor of Centrifuge"
13. "Postlude-Critical Mass"