Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer Delve into Jazz and Classical for ECM Rework Album
Published Apr 14, 2011Since forming in 1969, the German label ECM has released hundreds of albums, establishing itself as one of the world's preeminent jazz imprints. It's genre-spanning approach has also delved into classical, avant-garde and world music. This diversity earned the attention of one of the world's true electronic music masters, Ricardo Villalobos. Now, the Chilean-German minimal techno DJ has reworked music from ECM's catalog with help from Sun Electric's Max Loderbauer.
As FACT points out, the pair have taken on compositions by artists like Arvo Pärt, Miroslav Vitou and Alexander Knaifel. The result is a 17-track double album called Re:ECM, due out June 20 in the UK.
Some dance music fans may be surprised by Villalobos taking on a project for a label that primarily deals with jazz and classical. Back in 2009, when the DJ first told Resident Advisor about the project, he explained, "In private, I listen to more classical and jazz music."
He added, "My biggest challenge is to reach the sound quality of acoustic recordings with electronic instruments." Perhaps, thanks to ECM's catalog, he has finally got there.
See the tracklist below (the composers are listed in parentheses).
1. "Reblop" (Wallumrød/Villalobos/Loderbauer)
2. "Recat" (Wallumrød/Villalobos/Loderbauer)
3. "Resvete" (Knaifel)
4. "Retimeless" - feat. Cassy (Abercrombie/Villalobos/Loderbauer)
5. "Reemergence" (Vitous/Villalobos/Loderbauer)
6. "Reblazhenstva" (Knaifel)
7. "Reannounce" (Sclavis/Villalobos/Loderbauer)
8. "Recurrence" (Brederode)
9. "Requote" (Wallumrød/Villalobos/Loderbauer)
1. "Replob" (Wallumrød/Villalobos/Loderbauer)
2. "Reshadub" (Giger/Villalobos/Loderbauer)
3. "Rebird" (Motian/Villalobos/Loderbauer)
4. "Retikhiy" (Knaifel arr. Villalobos/Loderbauer)
5. "Rekondakion" (Pärt)
6. "Rensenada" - ft. Achil (Maupin/Villalobos/Loderbauer)
7. "Resole" (Knaifel)
8. "Redetach" (Wallumrød/Orning/Henriksen/Larsen//Villalobos/Loderbauer)