Casiotone for the Painfully Alone Announces Two New Albums
Published Jan 26, 2009Since 2006's Etiquette, we've barely heard a peep out of Owen Ashworth, or as he's better known as, Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. According to our records, the synth-loving Californian has only released a few singles, done some live shows and, most recently, put out the Town Topic EP, in which he sped through 15 tracks in 22 minutes. But other than that, it's been a relatively quite couple of years for CFTPA, making the fact that Ashworth is readying not one but two full-lengths a welcomed piece of news indeed.
First up on CFTPA's release schedule will be the odds'n'sods comp Advance Base Battery Life, which is due out on March 10 via Tomlab. The 15-track collection gathers up a series of seven-inch singles, split releases and compilation tracks recorded in the latter part of Ashworth's career, specifically focusing on his output between 2004 and 2007. Like most CFTPA releases, there a few guest stars on these pocket symphonies, including Nick Krgovich of Vancouver's No Kids, Dear Nora's Katy Davidson and Gordon Ashworth of Concern (who doubles as Owen's brother). The comp also finds CFTPA taking on several cover tunes, such as Paul Simon's "Graceland," Missy Elliott's "Hot Boyz" and two Bruce Springsteen tunes, "Born in the U.S.A." and "Streets of Philadelphia."
In addition to Advance Base Battery Life, Ashworth has dropped word over on the band's website that he's in fact wrapped up the proper follow-up Etiquette as well, which he's dubbing Vs. Children. That album is scheduled to drop the first week of April, he says, and will be followed by a Europe/UK tour in April and May in support of both of releases.
And while Ashworth doesn't provide any clues as to what we can expect from the new material, he has revealed the tracklisting for Vs. Children, as well as its very Etiquette-like cover art.
Here are the tracks on both upcoming CFTPA releases:
Advance Base Battery Life:
1. "Old Panda Days" (w/ Nick Krgovich)
2. "Lesley Gore on the T.A.M.I. Show" (version)
3. "White Corolla"
4. "White on White"
5. "Holly Hobby"
6. "Lonesome New Mexican Nights"
7. "The Only Way To Cry"
8. "It's A Crime"
10. "Hot Boyz" (Missy Elliot cover w/ Dear Nora)
11. "Born in the U.S.A." (Bruce Springsteen cover w/ Concern)
12. "Streets of Philadelphia" (Bruce Springsteen cover w/ Concern)
13. "Graceland" (Paul Simon cover)
14. "Sunday St"
15. "Voice of the Hospital"
1. "Casiotone for the Painfully Alone vs. Children"
2. "Tom Justice, The Choir Boy Robber, Apprehended at Ace Hardware in Libertyville, IL"
3. "Optimist vs. The Silent Alarm (When The Saints Go Marching In)"
4. "Natural Light"
5. "Traveling Salesman's Young Wife Home Alone on Christmas in Montpelier, VT"
6. "Man O' War"
7. "Northfield, MN"
9. "Harsh The Herald Angels Sing"
10. "You Were Alone"
11. "White Jetta"
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone "White Corolla"