Brian Wilson Unveils Album of Disney Interpretations
Published Aug 19, 2011Having rewritten pop history over 40 years ago with classics like Pet Sounds, Beach Boys mastermind Brian Wilson has decided to conquer an altogether different set of songs, namely Disney film score classics. The legendary singer-songwriter has announced an album's worth of children's movie music with In the Key of Disney.
USA Today reports [via Pitchfork] that the musician will be tackling a number of familiar family-geared tunes from movies such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and more.
The set was arranged with Paul Von Mertens and is said to touch upon Wilson's Beach Boy-isms. We've been tipped off that "Baby Mine," from Dumbo, features classic Wilson-styled vocal harmonies, while The Lion King track "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" is revamped as a rock number with the famous Bo Diddley beat. "We took it to the max," Wilson told USA Today of the latter.
"The Beach Boys sound and the Disney people make a fantastic collaboration," he also said. "I tried to do justice to all their songs."
In the Key of Disney comes out October 25 on Disney Pearl Records. You can listen to Wilson's extra sunny take on "Heigh-Ho/Whistle While You Work" here.
In the Key of Disney:
1. "You've Got a Friend in Me" (from Toy Story)
2. "Bare Necessities" (from The Jungle Book)
3. "Baby Mine" (from Dumbo)
4. "Kiss the Girl" (from The Little Mermaid)
5. "Colors of the Wind" (from Pocahontas)
6. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" (from The Lion King)
7. "We Belong Together" (from Toy Story 3)
8. "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" (from The Lion King)
9. "Stay Awake" (from Mary Poppins)
10. "Heigh-Ho/Whistle While You Work" (from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
11. "When You Wish Upon a Star" (from Pinocchio)