Teen Dies of MDMA Overdose at Toronto's Rebel Nightclub

Teen Dies of MDMA Overdose at Toronto's Rebel Nightclub
A 19-year-old woman has died of an MDMA overdose following a Friday night event (December 16) at Toronto's Rebel nightclub.

Toronto paramedics told CityNews that two others were also taken to hospital following the event. CityNews reports that Toronto police were called to the club for two reported overdoses, among four other incidents.

No other details regarding the deceased woman have surfaced as of press time, but she is reportedly not from Toronto. It's also unclear if fentanyl — a drug that has led to a public health crisis in some parts of Canada — may have played a role in the death.

The nightclub, formerly known as Sound Academy, is located at Polson Pier just outside of Toronto's downtown core and is owned by promotional company Ink Entertainment.

UPDATE (12/19, 5:20 p.m. EST): Ink Entertainment has released an official statement concerning the incident. It reads as follows:

We extend our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the patron who passed away, and will keep them in our prayers during this difficult time. 

REBEL has a zero tolerance drug policy, and also subjects every patron entering the venue to a full search.  Anyone who is caught with an illegal substance is immediately denied entry. We employ an EMS company on-site for every music concert and club night.

The event on Friday December 16th was an all-ages concert, with a separated licensed area for 19+ guests.

Public safety and security is our top priority at INK Entertainment and we will continue to ensure that it remains that way with the highest standard of support.

We are fully cooperating with the police on the investigation. Due to the fact that this is an ongoing investigation, we cannot comment further on this matter. 

Regards,


Elaine Quan
Director, Public Relations