Sugarland Sued over Fatal Stage Collapse

Sugarland Sued over Fatal Stage Collapse
Survivors who suffered through a stage collapse at an Indiana State Fair last summer shortly before Sugarland were supposed to perform have banded together to sue the country duo for negligence.

As previously reported, the August 13 incident turned tragic when strong winds caused the structure to fall, crushing and killing seven people. E! News now reports that 44 victims have filed suit.

While the band apologized and performed a benefit concert in Indianapolis last month, the lawsuit, which represents survivors and families of four deceased concertgoers, alleges Sugarland could have called the gig off altogether. Lawyers have pointed to a clause in the group's contract says they have final say on whether they play, meaning they could have pulled the plug on the performance once the heavy winds came through.

Along with the band themselves, the lawsuit, which was filed at Marion Superior Court in Indianapolis, points blame at concert promoter Live Nation, ESG Security, the stagehands' union, and other companies that allegedly failed to ensure a safe environment for concertgoers.

"Unfortunately, this tragedy could have been prevented if the responsible parties had been concerned about the concertgoers that night," the plaintiffs' lawyer Mario Massillamany said in a statement.

Plaintiffs are seeking unspecified damages to cover medical bills and "other financial expenses that they have incurred from this incident."

Sugarland have not yet responded to the suit.