Published Nov 07, 2011From psych rock to Syl Johnson, eclectic imprint the Numero Group has delivered boatloads of albums and compilations tipping its hat to unsung musicians, and the imprint's M.O. keeps rolling with the latest entry in their Eccentric Soul series highlighting Chicago's Nickel and Penny record labels.
Fittingly titled Eccentric Soul: The Nickel & Penny Labels, the compilation will be issued on CD and double LP on November 22. And not only does it showcase a collection of '60s and '70s soul groups that were pressed by the now-defunct Nickel and Penny imprints, but songwriter and Chicago area radio personality Richard Pegue.
While the back half of his career found him spinning oldies and writing jingles for Illinois businesses like Moo & Oink Markets, Pegue's early dabbling in doo-wop led him to penning soulful cuts for the Chicago scene.
A press release explains that Pegue, who passed away in 2009, "was the writer, arranger and producer of some of the most beautiful Chicago soul records in the '60s and '70s; too bad they all went out of print weeks after being released."
Collected here are deep cuts he helmed for Jerry Townes, the Voices, the Norvells, Little Ben & the Cheers, South Shore Commission, Joyce Williams, the Halleluiah Chorus, Brothers & Sisters and more.
Numero was tipped off to Pegue when compiling 2007's Eccentric Soul: Twinight's Lunar Rotation set and managed to have him involved in the project, but the DJ died before it was completed.
As the press sheet explains, "These 24 tracks tell Pegue's epic tale, from dedicated music producer, to DJ making corny radio jingles that usurped the tens of thousands of air-time hours the songs included here so richly deserved."
Eccentric Soul: The Nickel & Penny Labels:
1. Jerry Townes "Just Say The Word"
2. Little Ben & the Cheers "Never More"
3. Voices "Fall In Love Again"
4. Jerry Townes "You Are My Sunshine"
5. Matta Baby "Do The Pearl, Girl (Part 2)"
6. Norvells "Why Do You Want To Make Me Sad"
7. Voices "Forever Is A Long, Long Time"
8. Little Ben & the Cheers "(I'm Not Ready To) Settle Down"
9. Jerry Townes "Three Sides To A Triangle"
10. Little Ben & the Cheers "Mighty, Mighty Lover"
11. Jerry Townes "Little Old Lovemaker Me"
12. Little Ben & the Cheers "I'm Gonna Get Even With You"
13. Norvells "Without You"
14. Jerry Townes "Never More" 15. Extentions "This Love Of Mine"
16. Halleluiah Chorus "I've Got To Find A Way"
17. South Shore Commission "Shadows"
18. Richard Terry & Company "Instrumental #1"
19. Joyce Williams "The First Thing I Do In The Morning"
20. South Shore Commission "You Got Me Hummin'"
21. Brothers & Sisters "Don't Let 'Em Tell You"
22. Sidney Pinchback "This Is The Woman"
23. South Suburban Electric Strings "Sign Of The Zodiac"
24. Sidney Barnes "The Ember Song"
25. Background Singers "You Made It Good" *
26. Background Players "Untitled Theme" *
* LP only