Despite last year's questionable reissue Worship the Animal - 1994: the Lost Recordings, metal fans haven't received any material from Phrygian-following extreme metal unit Nile since 2009's Those Whom the Gods Detest. The long wait is almost over, though, as the troupe have just unveiled plans for their next album, At the Gate of Sethu.
Then group's seventh full-length arrives overseas June 29, with a North American release set to drop July 3 through Nuclear Blast Records. The album was produced by Neil Kernon (Nevermore, Cannibal Corpse) and features guest vocals from former singer/bassist Jon Vesano.
All told, 11 new tracks will be unleashed by Nile, though the album also features instrumental takes of "Enduring the Eternal Molestation of Flame" and "The Inevitable Degradation of Flesh."
A recent interview with band leader Karl Sanders had the guitarist explaining that the disc revisits the Egyptian theme of past work, while expanding upon their metal formula.
"It's in similar territory to other Nile records in that a lot of it stems from Ancient Egyptology and sort of has underlying modern themes tied in. We haven't abandoned our identity and I don't believe you should fuck over your fans. If your fans like what you do, and you change too much of what you do, fans don't like it," Sanders told Cobra Metal [via Blabbermouth]. "What matters to me is when I'm out on tour and I meet the actual fans and they share their thoughts…those are the people that I listen to. There's a lot of new ideas within the realm of what we do that we tried to incorporate. We studied real hard on the guitar and have lots of new riffs and musical ideas. There are a lot of surprises on the record."
At the Gate of Sethu:
1. Enduring The Eternal Molestation Of Flame
2. The Fiends Who Come To Steal The Magick Of The Deceased
3. The Inevitable Degradation Of Flesh
4. When My Wrath Is Done
5. Slaves Of Xul
6. The Gods Who Light Up The Sky At The Gate Of Sethu
7. Natural Liberation Of Fear Through The Ritual Deception Of Death
8. Ethno-Musicological Cannibalisms
9. Tribunal Of The Dead
10. Supreme Humanism Of Megalomania
11. The Chaining Of The Iniquitous
12. Enduring The Eternal Molestation Of Flame (instrumental)
13. The Inevitable Degradation Of Flesh (instrumental)