Published Feb 06, 2012Back in 2009, a collection of musicians got together for We Are Only Riders, which reworked some unfinished songs written by deceased Gun Club singer/guitarist Jeffery Lee Pierce, and it looks as if there was plenty of unmined material to sift through, as a second compilation has now been announced.
Titled The Journey Is Long, this second collection contains 18 tracks apparently left incomplete when Pierce died of a brain hemorrhage in 1996. Glitterhouse Records will drop the disc on March 30.
"Many songs started as nascent ideas captured on a cassette unearthed by Pierce's latter day collaborator Cypress Grove while clearing out his loft," the label said in a statement. "Harking back to the collective ethos of Pierce's beloved jazz, artists spill into each other's tracks, reinterpreting or finishing lyrical and melodic sketches while some chose personal favourites from his catalogue."
The Journey Is Long features many of the artists who contributed to We Are Only Riders, including a duets from Nick Cave & Deborah Harry, and Mark Lanegan & Isobell Campbell. Also participating are the Birthday Party/Bad Seeds member Mick Harvey, no wave icon Lydia Lunch and Grove. You can check out the details down below.
Apparently, there's even more songs than that, as a third volume entitled The Task Has Overwhelmed Us is expected later this year.
Thanks to TwentyFourBit for the tip.
The Journey Is Long:
1. Nick Cave "City In Pain"
2. Hugo Race "I'm Going Upstairs"
3. Steve Wynn "From Death To Texas"
4. Mark Lanegan & Isobel Campbell "The Breaking Hands"
5. The Amber Lights "The Jungle Book"
6. Bertrand Cantat, Pascal Humbert, Warren Ellis, Cypress Grove "Rose's Blues"
7. Thalia Zedek & Chris Brokaw "Zonar Roze"
8. Cypress Grove "L.A. County Jail Blues"
9. Barry Adamson "I Wanna Be You"
10. Mick Harvey "Sonny Boy"
11. Vertical Smile "Book Of Love"
12. Astro-Unicorn "Body And Soul"
13. Lydia Lunch "The Brink"
14. Nick Cave & Deborah Harry "The Breaking Hands"
15. Tex Perkins & Lydia Lunch "In My Room"
16. Tav Falco's Panther Burns "The Jungle Book"
17. Mick Harvey "St. Mark's Place"
18. The Jim Jones Revue "Ain't My Problem Baby"