Published Apr 28, 2011Last year, we caught wind of the National Parks Project, a 13-part series that celebrated Canada's natural beauty by recruiting musicians and filmmakers to visit national parks across the country. Musicians including Shad, John K. Samson, Sarah Harmer, Sebastien Grainger and Sam Roberts wrote collaborative songs about their experiences, and their adventures were captured on camera.
As a companion piece to the short film series, Last Gang Records and FilmCAN are getting set to release a soundtrack made up of songs written for the National Parks Project. There are two separate versions: a 20-track CD and a 26-track double-LP, both due out May 24. The digital version of the CD is available now.
What's more, there are also seven digital EPs containing 49 tracks, which are on iTunes and streaming at the National Parks Project website.
See the tracklist for the CD/digital version below. It has the names of the artists followed by the song title, with the name of the national park in parentheses. Along with the big names mentioned above, you will find new music from Kathleen Edwards, Old Man Luedecke, Jim Guthrie, BSS/Apostle of Hustle's Andre Whiteman, Melissa Auf der Maur, Miracle Fortress's Graham Van Pelt, members of the Besnard Lakes and more.
You can check out the vinyl tracklist over at the Last Gang website. It doesn't have the artists listed next to each track, but you can deduce who is likely to have written each one based on who visited each park.
There is a documentary series about the National Parks Project currently airing on Discovery World HD, with narration provided by Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip.
As for the 13 short films, they will be available on iTunes on May 3 and streaming online on May 19 via the National Parks Project website. They will also be coming to theatres on May 20, starting with an exclusive run at the Royal Theatre in Toronto.
Some of the musicians involved with the National Parks Project will perform live in Toronto for a soundtrack release show, which is taking place on May 19 at the Royal. See the list of performers here.
National Parks Project:
1. Jim Guthrie, Sarah Harmer, Bry Webb - "Long Time Before This" (Gwaii Haanas)
2. Mathieu Charbonneau, Andrew Ethier, Rebecca Foon - "Height of Land" (Prince Albert)
3. Old Man Luedecke, Tony Dekker, Daniela Gesundheit - "Welcome to the Dark" (Cape Breton Highlands)
4. Laura Barrett, Cadence Weapon, Mark Hamilton - "The Humble Fawn" (Waterton Lakes)
5. Dean Stone, Tanya Tagaq, Andrew Whiteman - "The Iceberg Cometh" (Sirmilik)
6. Olga Goreas, Shadrach Kabango, Jace Lasek - "Sunblood" (Nahanni)
7. Ohad Benchetrit, Don Kerr, Casey Mecija - "Mystic Morning" (Kouchibouguac)
8. Old Man Luedecke, Tony Dekker, Daniela Gusendheit - "Listen and Profit" (Cape Breton Highlands)
9. Laura Barrett, Cadence Weapon, Mark Hamilton - "Ohkoomi" (Waterton Lakes)
10. Christine Fellows - "Marr Lake" (Bruce Peninsula)
11. Andrew Whiteman - "Komatik Kowboys" (edit) (Sirmilik)
12. Jennifer Castle, Sebastien Grainger, Dan Werb - "Grotto" (Mingan)
13. Melissa Auf der Maur, Jamie Fleming, Sam Shalabi - "Mountaintop" (Gros Morne)
14. Dale Morningstar, Chad Ross, Sophie Trudeau - "Simple Things" (Prince Edward Island)
15. Kathleen Edwards, Matt Mays, Sam Roberts - "Wapusk" (Wapusk)
16. Jim Guthrie, Sarah Harmer, Bry Webb - "Longhouse (edit)" (Gwaii Haanas)
17. Mishka Stein - "Mishka Solo on Icefields" (Kluane)
18. Ian D'sa, Mishka Stein, Graham Van Pelt - "Kathleen Lake" (Kluane)
19. Christine Fellows, Sandro Perri, John K Samson - "Bruce Beckons" (Bruce Peninsula)
20. Mathieu Charbonneau, Andrew Ethier, Rebecca Foon - "Sunset and the Rainbow" (Prince Albert)