Published Dec 01, 2016As 2016 winds down, plenty of annual reports are surfacing, and Instagram has revealed some rather interesting data about the Canadians that its users like to follow.
As Spotify's most streamed artist, it's hardly surprising that Drake topped the list of Most-Followed Canadians on the photo-snapping app. Trailing behind his 30.4 million followers were other pop stars like Shawn Mendes, the Weeknd, Avril Lavigne and deadmau5.
Justin Bieber is noticeably missing from the list, having unplugged from the social media platform earlier this year, and telling his audience in London just this week that Instagram is "for the devil."
Not to worry, though, Beliebers are clearly still getting their secondhand Justin fix through the Canadian pop star's dad. Jeremy Bieber squeezed his way into the ninth spot on the Most-Followed Canadians list with an impressive 1.9 million fans.
His son gave fans at Tuesday night's (November 29) show false hope that he might return to the service, before reiterating his anti-Insta stance by saying, "Nah, I don't want to get my Instagram back."
"I think hell is Instagram. I'm 90 percent sure," he added. "We get sent to hell, we get locked in the Instagram server. Like, stuck in the DMs."
As for the most-liked Canadian Instagram posts of 2016, Drake took two of the three top spots, with Mendes squeezing himself into second place with this photo. Drizzy's big night out under the CN tower with Rihanna took home the most likes, while his birthday boy pyjamas came in third place.
Despite all the likes racked up for Canuck Instagrammers, none of the aforementioned Canadians made it into the app's overall Most-Followed Celebrities of 2016 list. Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Beyoncé and Kim Kardashian took home the top five spots.
See some of the most prestigious rankings of the year listed below. We'll save you from the full Top Millennial Hashtags list — but rest assured #swag, #goals, #beastmode, #squad and #bae all made it.
Most-followed Canadians of 2016:
1. Drake (30.4 million followers)
2. Shawn Mendes (16.1 million followers)
3. The Weeknd (7.6 million followers)
4. Avril Lavigne (4.2 million followers)
5. Farah Dhukai (4.1 million followers)
6. Kristen Hancher (2.2 million followers)
7. Lyzabeth Lopez (2.1 million followers)
8. deadmau5 (2 million followers)
9. Jeremy Bieber (1.9 million followers)
10. Yolanda Gampp (1.9 million followers)
Most-liked Canadian Celebrity Posts of 2016:
Top Canadian Hashtags:
Most-followed Celebrities of 2016:
1. Selena Gomez (103 million followers)
2. Taylor Swift (93.9 million followers)
3. Ariana Grande (90.2 million followers)
4. Beyoncé (89.2 million followers)
5. Kim Kardashian (88.2 million followers)
6. Cristiano Ronaldo (82.8 million followers)
7. Kylie Jenner (80 million followers)
8. Dwayne Johnson (71.5 million followers)
9. Nicki Minaj (69.4 million followers)
10. Kendall Jenner (69.2 million followers)