Amy Winehouse Died of Alcohol Poisoning: Coroner

Amy Winehouse Died of Alcohol Poisoning: Coroner
Following Amy Winehouse's death on July 23, a British coroner has ruled that the singer died due to alcohol poisoning.

Today (October 26) coroner Suzanne Greenaway gave a verdict of "death by misadventure," the Associated Press reports, saying Winehouse had five times the British drunk driving limit.

"The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels [of alcohol] was her sudden and unexpected death," Greenaway said.

According to pathologist Suhail Baithun, the level of alcohol in her blood was 416 milligrams per 100 millilitres -- a blood alcohol level of 0.4 percent -- which would have been enough to stop Winehouse's breathing and send her into a coma.

Three empty vodka bottles were found in Winehouse's bedroom at the time of her death, according to police. However, no traces of illegal drugs were found in her body.

The coroner's ruling follows an initial autopsy that proved inconclusive and previous rumours that she died of alcohol withdrawal.

In a statement, Winehouse family spokesman Chris Goodman said, "The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time."