Published Jan 08, 2020For the second year in a row, the Oscars will once again air without a host.
News came today from ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke and was later backed up by a tweet from the Academy.
"Let me confirm it now, together with the Academy," Burke said, "that there will be no traditional host this year."
Last year, Burke noted that the change in convention stemmed from a need to keep airtime trimmed — where others made the connection between the decision and Kevin Hart stepping down as host following the controversy around his past homophobic tweets.
"The main goal, which I'm told the Academy promised last year, is to keep the show to three hours," Burke told The Hollywood Reporter last year. "The producers decided to wisely not have a host and have the presenters and the movies be the stars. That's the best way to keep the show to a brisk three hours."
According to CNN, last year's host-less Oscars ratings showed "marked improvement" with 12 percent increase in viewership following the ceremony's all-time low in 2017.
Should this year's ceremonies prove to continue that trend, you might expect to see the Oscar's 93rd edition follow suit.
The ceremony will be held on February 9 and will air live on ABC at 6:30 p.m. EST. While the full list of nominations for the 92nd Academy Awards won't arrive until later this month, the shortlists for multiple categories have been announced. You can see all the shortlisted Oscars nominees over here.
See the Academy's tweet below.
This year's #Oscars at a glance:— The Academy (@TheAcademy) January 8, 2020
See you Feb. 9th!