Published Mar 10, 2017The promotional cycle for Kong: Skull Island has been ablaze, sparking multiple trailers and interviews. One of the film's premieres was a little more fiery than expected, however, when a giant King Kong statue caught fire.
At a Skull Island premiere in Vietnam (where much of the film was shot), a 16-foot Kong statue caught fire. The fire happened after a simulation of an erupting volcano, and many onlookers thought it was intentional.
Fortunately, no one was injured. As The Hollywood Reporter explains, a rep from Warner Brothers said, "There was a small fire at an outdoor atrium at CGV Cinema in Ho Chi Minh City during a Kong: Skull Island opening event. We are very grateful that no one was hurt.
"The fire was extinguished quickly and after all was deemed safe, the resiliency of Kong's Vietnamese fans came through when they filled the theater to enjoy the film. We want to express our gratitude to the Ho Chi Minh City fire department, who kept everyone in attendance safe, as well as the CGV management, who acted quickly to address the situation."
Check out footage from the blaze below.