William Shatner's Seeking Major Tom Tracklist Revealed; Wayne Kramer, Manuel Göttsching, the Strokes' Nick Valensi to Guest
Published Apr 13, 2011That crazy new William Shatner album just got a whole lot crazier. A couple months back, an energized Shat tweeted that he had been holed up in a recording studio with Black Label Society shredder Zakk Wylde, Queen guitarist Brian May and the always funky Bootsy Collins, among others, with the goal to tackle rock classics like Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." While we knew the actor would be bringing in some high-class talent, the official tracklisting for the disc reveals that, unsurprisingly, the guy's got friends in high places.
Tackling everything from Queen classic "Bohemian Rhapsody" to Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science," Seeking Major Tom promises to be a weird one. The Strokes' six-stringer Nick Valensi lays down some guitar lines on Peter Shilling's "Major Tom," while classic prog rocker Steve Howe (Yes) will help out Shatner on a rendition of Duran Duran's dancey "Planet Earth." Possibly the weirdest selection is a take on the Tea Party's 2004 number "Empty Glass," which pairs the singer with Scorpions shredder Michael Schenker.
The album even has some serious music nerd cred, as Ash Ra Tempel guitar god Manuel Göttsching makes an appearance and so too does Tangerine Dream's Edgar Froese. Check out the full tracklisting below.
While a release date has yet to be set, the album will drop via Cleopatra Records later this year.
Thanks to Consequence of Sound for the tip.
Searching for Major Tom:
1. "Space Trucking" (Deep Purple) [ft. Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice and Johnny Winter on guitar]
2. "She Blinded Me With Science" (Thomas Dolby) [ft. Bootsy Collins on bass and Patrick Moraz (ex-Yes and Moody Blues) on keyboards/synth]
3. "In a Little While" (U2) [ft. Manuel Göttsching from Ash Ra Tempel on guitar]
4. "Empty Glass" (The Tea Party) [ft. Michael Schenker (UFO/Scorpions) on guitar]
5. "Lost in the Stars" (Frank Sinatra version) [ft. Ernie Watts on saxophone]
6. "Twilight Zone" (Golden Earring) [ft. Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule/Allman Brothers) on guitar]
7. "Space Cowboy" (Steve Miller) [ft. Brad Paisley on guitar and vocals]
8. "Rocket Man" (Elton John) [ft. Steve Hillage (ex-Gong member) on guitar]
9. "Space Oddity" (David Bowie) [ft. Ritchie Blackmore (ex-Deep Purple) on guitar and Alan Parsons on keyboards]
10. "Spirit in the Sky" (Norman Greenbaum) [ft. Peter Frampton on guitar]
11. "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Queen) [ft. John Wetton (Asia) on bass and vocals]
12. "Silver Machine" (Hawkwind) [ft .Wayne Kramer (MC5) on guitar and Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge/Rod Stewart) on drums]
13. "Major Tom" (Peter Shilling) [ft. The Strokes' Nick Valensi and Zakk Wylde on guitar and and Mike Inez (Alice In Chains) on bass]
14. "Learning to Fly" (Pink Floyd) [ft. Edgar Froese (Tangerine Dream) on guitar and keyboards]
15. "Mr. Spaceman" (The Byrds) [ft. Dave Davies (The Kinks) on guitar]
16. "Iron Man" (Black Sabbath) [ft. Zakk Wylde on guitar and vocals]
17. "Planet Earth" (Duran Duran) [ft. Steve Howe (Yes) on guitar]
18. "Walking on the Moon" (The Police) [ft. Toots (Toots & the Maytals) on vocals]
19. "Mrs. Major Tom" [female guest vocals TBA]