The Beatles Treat 'Live at the Hollywood Bowl' to Expanded Reissue
Published Jul 20, 2016A string of performances by the Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl were compiled and released in 1977, but the iconic live sets have now been remastered and will be re-released later this year. Live at the Hollywood Bowl will arrive on CD on September 9, followed by a vinyl release on November 18.
The original recordings come from concerts that took place on August 23, 1964, and August 29 and 30, 1965, and the tapes have been remixed and remastered at Abbey Road by the late George Martin's son, Giles Martin and engineer Sam Okell.
"Technology has moved on since my father worked on the material all those years ago," Martin said in a statement. "Now there's improved clarity, and so the immediacy and visceral excitement can be heard like never before. What we hear now is the raw energy of four lads playing together to a crowd that loved them. This is the closest you can get to being at the Hollywood Bowl at the height of Beatlemania."
The forthcoming release features a slightly different tracklist than the 1977 live album, including four previously unreleased versions of "You Can't Do That," "I Want to Hold Your Hand," "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" and "Baby's in Black." Find the full tracklisting down below.
In addition to the audio content on CD or vinyl, Live at the Hollywood Bowl includes a 24-page booklet written by David Fricke.
That's not all fans of the Fab Four have to look forward to; a new Ron Howard doc called Eight Days a Week: the Touring Years is set for release in September. Re-watch the trailer for it below.
Live at the Hollywood Bowl:
1. "Twist and Shout" [August 30th, 1965]
2. "She's A Woman" [August 30th, 1965]
3. "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" [August 30th, 1965 / August 29th, 1965 - one edit]
4. "Ticket to Ride" [August 29th, 1965]
5. "Can't Buy Me Love" [August 30th, 1965]
6. "Things We Said Today" [August 23rd, 1964]
7. "Roll Over Beethoven" [August 23rd, 1964]
8. "Boys" [August 23rd, 1964]
9. "A Hard Day's Night" [August 30th, 1965]
10. "Help!" [August 29th, 1965]
11. "All My Loving" [August 23rd, 1964]
12. "She Loves You" [August 23rd, 1964]
13. "Long Tall Sally" [August 23rd, 1964]
14. "You Can't Do That" [August 23rd, 1964]
15. "I Want To Hold Your Hand" [August 23rd, 1964]
16. "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" [August 30th, 1965]
17. "Baby's In Black" [August 30th, 1965]