'Repo Man' Soundtrack Gets Tribute Album Courtesy of Black Francis, Mike Watt, Amanda Palmer
Published Mar 07, 2012The folks over at American Laundromat Records are massive fans of the 1984 sci-fi cult classic Repo Man, and they're going the extra mile to prove how much they love the film. On September 18, the label will release a tribute album featuring a number of modern acts covering tunes from the original soundtrack.
The 1984 soundtrack is considered by many to be an essential punk document, since it features cuts from the likes of Black Flag, the Circle Jerks, Iggy Pop, Fear and Suicidal Tendencies. However, the artists featured on the tribute effort come from a slightly different mould.
Among those on A Tribute to Repo Man are Black Francis (aka Frank Blank of the Pixies), Amanda Palmer, Matthew Sweet, Mike Watt and Slumberland shoegazers Weekend. A couple of release's tunes don't yet have confirmed performers, but you can see the tracklist below.
You can also pre-oder a copy directly from the label's official site. For just $10, you'll get a six-panel CD wallet that comes with original artwork, a promo pin, a pine tree-shaped air freshener (while supplies last), and a chance to preview the album before its release date.
A Tribute to Repo Man:
1. Those Darlins - "Repo Man" (Iggy Pop)
2. Polar Bear Club - "TV Party" (Black Flag)
3. Amanda Palmer & the Grand Theft Orchestra - "Institutionalized" (Suicidal Tendencies)
4. New York Rivals - "Coup d'Etat" (Circle Jerks)
5. Black Francis - "El Clavo Y La Cruz" (The Plugz)
6. The Tellers - "Pablo Picasso" (Burning Sensations)
7. Mike Watt - "Let's Have a War" (Fear)
8. TBA - "When The Shit Hits The Fan" (Circle Jerks)
9. Matthew Sweet - "Hombre Secreto (Secret Agent Man)" (The Plugz)
10. TBA - "Bad Man" (Juicy Bananas)
11. Weekend - "Reel Ten" (The Plugz)