Radiohead to Cover Peter Gabriel's "Wallflower"
Published Jan 25, 2010Peter Gabriel was an icon back in the '70s and '80s, first as a founding member of Genesis, then as a solo artist. In recent years, however, the legendary songwriter has been reaching out to a new generation. He contributed music to the 2008 Disney/Pixar film WALL-E, and last year announced that he was working on an orchestral covers album entitled Scratch My Back, which will include renditions of tracks from contemporary artists such as Arcade Fire, Bon Iver and Radiohead.
As previously reported, the best part of the covers project is this: the same artists that the singer is covering on Scratch My Back will later return the favour, contributing renditions of Peter Gabriel songs for a sister album entitled I'll Scratch Yours.
Gabriel has released a series of podcasts discussing the project, featuring clips from the album and commentary about the choices. At 13:20 in the latest podcast, he revealed an exciting new piece of information: Radiohead will be covering the song "Wallflower," which initially appeared on Gabriel's 1982 eponymous album. The songwriter explained that the tune, which was inspired by South American human rights issues, "was an important track for [Radiohead singer Thom Yorke] when he was 14."
As we recently told you, the Magnetic Fields' Stephin Merritt has also covered Gabriel's 2004 track "Not One of Us" and will be releasing the song digitally on January 30.
Scratch My Back is due out February 16 via Real World/Universal. There's no word on when I'll Scratch Yours will be released, but Gabriel mentioned "next year" in passing.
Thanks to At Ease for the heads-up.
Scratch My Back:
1. "Heroes" (David Bowie cover)
2. "The Boy in the Bubble" (Paul Simon cover)
3. "Mirrorball" (Elbow cover)
4. "Flume" (Bon Iver cover)
5. "Listening Wind" (Talking Heads cover)
6. "The Power of the Heart" (Lou Reed cover)
7. "My Body Is a Cage" (Arcade Fire cover)
8. "The Book of Love" (Magnetic Fields cover)
9. "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" (Randy Newman cover)
10. "Après Moi" (Regina Spektor cover)
11. "Philadelphia" (Neil Young cover)
12. "Street Spirit" (Radiohead cover)