Pemberton Festival Cancelled For 2009
Published Jan 09, 2009Sorry music-fest lovers, there will be no Pemberton Festival this year. Live Nation has confirmed the 2009 edition of the star-studded musical event has been cancelled, officially leaving many Canadian festival-goers hoping to catch some big-name acts this summer out of luck.
Despite getting permission in mid-November from BC's Agricultural Land Commission to hold the festival, organizers said they didn't have enough time to pull off such a high-calibre event.
"We've had some conversations internally this week, and we've decided to focus on 2010 for the return of the festival," Shane Bourbonnais, Live Nation president of touring and business development, said in an interview with the Georgia Straight. "We're not comfortable with where we're at right now in planning and talent acquisition. And we really want to make sure that when we do bring the festival back, we don't come back with the same problems that we had last year."
Last summer's event drew some 40,000 people to the rural BC hamlet of Pemberton, where music fans crammed in to see big-name acts such as Coldplay, Jay-Z, Nine Inch Nails and Tom Petty. However, the festival was plagued with problems, such as dust storms, hours-long traffic jams, line-ups and overflowing toilets.
Bourbonnais went on to say that for Pemberton 2010 Live Nation plans to hire traffic consultants and other experts to help the event run more smoothly, adding that having 18 months instead of six to organize the event also helps the village of Pemberton adequately prepare for the event. He did not, however, reveal any of the bands that could possibly play in 2010.
Nine Inch Nails at Pemberton 2008