Mavis Staples Announces Jeff Tweedy-Produced LP
Published Jun 07, 2010American soul/gospel icon Mavis Staples is set to return with a new LP this fall, and as we previously reported, it will feature production by none other than Wilco front-man Jeff Tweedy.
The album, titled You Are Not Alone, will come courtesy of eccentric indie Anti- on September 14. The record was recorded in Tweedy's own Loft studio in Chicago, and features Staples singing a number of tunes both traditional and written by folk, soul and jazz contemporaries, including songs by Pops Staples, Randy Newman, Allen Toussaint, John Fogerty, Rev. Gary Davis and Little Milton. Tweedy himself contributes two tracks to the album, written specifically to be sung by Staples.
You Are Not Alone is Staples's second album for Anti-, and features many of the same musicians that have been touring with her for the past three years. Her last record was 2007's Ry Cooder-produced We'll Never Turn Back.
Staples will playing Lollapalooza and Wilco-curated Solid Sound Festival this August, with additional tour dates to follow shortly.
You Are Not Alone:
1. "You Don't Knock" (Pops Staples/Wesley Westbrook)
2. "You Are Not Alone" (Jeff Tweedy)
3. "Downward Road" (Pops Staples)
4. "In Christ There is No East and West" (Traditional)
5. "Creep Along, Moses" (Traditional)
6. "Losing You" (Randy Newman)
7. "I Belong to the Band" (Rev. Gary Davis)
8. "Last Train" (Allen Toussaint)
9. "Only the Lord Knows" (Jeff Tweedy)
10. "Wrote A Song for Everyone" (John Fogerty)
11. "We're Gonna Make It" (Little Milton)
12. "Wonderful Savior" (Traditional)
13. "Too Close To Heaven / I'm On My Way to Heaven Anyhow" (Prof. Alex E. Bradford, Jr./Brad Pathway)