Light in the Attic Dives Back into the World of Japanese City Pop with 'Pacific Breeze 2'
The sprawling 2-LP comp will feature Eiichi Ohtaki, Sadistics, the Mystery Kindaichi Band, Piper and more
Published Mar 10, 2020Light in the Attic's beloved 2019 comp Pacific Breeze shone a whole new light on Japan's beloved City Pop scene, and now the label is doing it all over again with a sequel. Pacific Breeze 2: Japanese City Pop, AOR & Boogie 1972-1986 will be heading our way on May 15.
The follow-up collection was curated by Andy Cabic and Mark "Frosty" McNeill, with the cover art once again being done by the famed Hiroshi Nagai. Among the artists set to appear on Pacific Breeze 2 are Happy End hero Eiichi Ohtaki, Sadistics, the Mystery Kindaichi Band, Piper, Eri Ohno, Yuji Toriyama and more.
Pacific Breeze 2 will arrive on CD, double LP, cassette and as a digital EP featuring highlights from the album. There are also various bundles available, with the LITA online store exclusive coming on "L.A. Twilight" colour vinyl and an indie exclusive arriving on "Violet Sky" wax.
"With Pacific Breeze 2: Japanese City Pop, AOR & Boogie 1972-1986 we dig deeper into those sounds of bubble-era Japan, from the proto-City Pop funk of Bread & Butter and Eiichi Ohtaki to the crate-digger favorites Kimiko Kasai and Piper," explains LITA. "Tomoko Aran and Anri, also included in this compilation, are just a few of the artists who have gained popularity in recent years thanks to Vaporwave, the meme-genre that heavily samples Japanese City Pop to create its particular aesthetic."
You can now pre-order Pacific Breeze 2. In addition, LITA will be repressing the original Pacific Breeze on tri-colour vinyl. You can now also order that new version.
Pacific Breeze 2: Japanese City Pop, AOR & Boogie 1972-1986:
1. Bread & Butter - "Pink Shadow"
2. Eiichi Ohtaki - "Yubikiri"
3. Kimiko Kasai - "Vibration (Love Celebration)"
4. The Mystery Kindaichi Band - "Kindaichi Kosuke No Theme"
5. Tetsuji Hayashi - "Hidari Mune No Seiza"
6. Anri - "Last Summer Whisper"
7. Momoko Kikuchi - "Blind Curve"
8. Tomoko Aran - "I'm In Love"
9. Yu Imai - "Kindaichi Kosuke Nishi E Iku"
10. Sadistics - "The Tokyo Taste"
11. Piper - "Hot Sand"
12. Junko Ohashi & Minoya Central Station - "Rainy Saturday & Coffee Break"
13. Eri Ohno - "Skyfire"
14. Yumi Murata - "Kanpoo"
15. Kyoko Furuya - "Harumifutou"
16. Yuji Toriyama - "Bay/Sky Provincetown 1977"