Brian's Record Option in Jeopardy Following Devastating Flood

A GoFundMe campaign has been started to help save the Kingston record store
Brian's Record Option in Jeopardy Following Devastating Flood
Kingston record store Brian's Record Option is facing an uncertain future after a suspected water main break flooded the Ontario store and destroyed merchandise this past weekend.

The Princess Street store's basement and main floor were flooded out Saturday morning (August 4), damaging records, CDs, posters and books, the Kingston Whig-Standard reports. The publication notes that all records stored in the basement were destroyed, along with anything sitting on the floor in the notoriously well-stocked store.

"We were looking forward to a nice Saturday," owner Brian Lipsin told the Whig. "This is probably going to ruin me. But I'm an optimist. We'll see what I can salvage."

Lipsin, who has run the store for nearly 40 years, added he was "sort of stunned by the whole thing. What am I supposed to do? How can I get back? This is going to end my store...What a way to leave. It'd be a pity to leave it this way."

And while Lipsin at first was ready to give up hope on the store, the owner is now seemingly more optimistic about its future.

"In the beginning I said, boy, I'm wiped out but it could be worse. All the top part is fine, the store proper is fine, and the posters are fine," he explained to Global.

Lipsin added that many in the community have already lent a helping hand.

"One of the stores down there offered storage space. And everyone's coming out of the woodwork and it's wonderful. I had tears in my eyes. I mean, you're not alone," he said.

Lipsin also explained that he has about 20,000 records at his farm that he will use to help replace all the stock lost in the flooding. He did say, however, that many of the items lost are irreplaceable.

A GoFundMe campaign has been started to "Resurrect Brian's Record Option," which as of press time has raised $7,000 of its $10,000 goal. You can find the campaign and donate to the cause here.

As of press time, the City of Kingston is still investigating the incident, and no cause for the suspected water main break has been revealed.