Janelle Monáe, Santigold, Timbaland Join Forces for Soccer-themed Comp
Published May 12, 2014Pepsi will soon be saluting the soccer field, with news that the soda giant is about to kick our way a new multimedia project featuring the likes of Janelle Monáe, Santigold and Timbaland on June 10 in North America and a day earlier overseas.
The 11-song collection, dubbed Beats of the Beautiful Game, is meant to "capture the indelible international spirit, sights and sounds of the world's most popular game – football," a press release reads.
Helping to do so will be a series of songs from a cross-section of artists whose "words, voices, hands and hearts drew strength from the pulse of the game of football." Some songs are originals, other are covers and a few are remixes, with those signed on to participate also including Kelly Rowland, Rita Ora, Don Omar, R3hab, Eva Simons, Jetta and Hassan el Shafei.
The project will also have the tracks paired up with short films from directors like Spike Lee, Idris Elba, the Young Astronauts, Jessy Terrero, Diego Luna and Cai Yiqi, among others. Lee set up Destiny's Child graduate Kelly Rowland's "The Game" with some visuals, as the singer noted of her track that she was "immediately attracted to because I can identify with its theme of overcoming challenges and finding your voice."
Pepsi will be unleashing the song and video packages online to view ahead of the launch of the compilation on iTunes. Now, you can check out Monáe's synth-splashing cover of David Bowie's classic "Heroes," accompanied by a youth-unifying video from the Young Astronauts. Analyzing themes of bullying and strength, you'll see the video beneath the tracklisting.
"It's very hopeful," Monáe had told Rolling Stone of the lyrical content of her cover. "The way the world is today, you can never write enough inspiring or motivating songs or songs that embolden the people and make us feel fearless. Those lyrics spoke to me as someone who is for the people. I try to inspire and lead by example and be the change that I want to see. So this song is a poster child for just that."
You can pre-order the album here on iTunes.
Beats of the Beautiful Game:
1. Janelle Monáe - "Heroes" (filmtrack by The Young Astronauts)
2. Don Omar - "Pura Vida" (filmtrack by Jessy Terrero)
3. Rita Ora - "I Will Never Let You Down (Switch Remix)" (filmtrack by Diego Luna)
4. R3hab ft. Eva Simons - "Unstoppable" (filmtrack by Idris Elba)
5. Jetta - "Crescendo"
6. Kelly Rowland - "The Game" (filmtrack by Spike Lee)
7. Santigold - "Kicking Down Doors" (filmtrack by Andy Morahan)
8. Timbaland starring Rachel Assil - "Whoever We Are" (filmtrack by The Kolton Brothers)
9. Pearls Negras - "Guerreira" (filmtrack by Cine Favela)
10. Jolin Tsai Yl-ling - "Now is the Time" (filmtrack by Cai Yiqi)
11. Hassan el Shafei - "Ahlam Men Gedial"