'Folk Songs of Canada Now' Comp Brings Together Wax Mannequin, Laura Barrett, Al Tuck
Published Aug 31, 2011There's no denying the richness of Canada's folk scene, so it's good news for rustic-music lovers that Henry Adam Svec of the CFL Sessions has put together an extensive compilation featuring some of the country's finest folk talent. Functionally titled Folk Songs of Canada Now, this 23-song set features beloved artists like Wax Mannequin, Olenka Krakus, Laura Barrett, Geoff Berner and Al Tuck.
The entire collection is available for free over at the project's website. It's presented like an academic study, with extensive writings from Svec about the project's origins and inspirations, plus detailed explanations about many of the songs.
In a press release, Svec said this about the collection: "I was once a performance artist. But more pressing questions -- both theoretical and practical ones -- began to haunt me. What does it mean to be real? What comes after the annihilation of capitalism? How do we get there together? I wished no longer to only explore questions. I wished, suddenly, to answer them. So, I became a folklorist. There is probably much left for me to learn. But this archive is the fruit of my first song-collecting journey across Canada, and I have given it for you. In solidarity."
Svec recorded all of the tracks at various locations around the country. These songs were mixed and masted by Simon Larochette and released digitally through Label Fantastic.
Folk Songs of Canada Now:
I. Bonnie Lasses
1. Andrew Penner - "Come, You Women"
2. Mathias Kom - "Nellie Coming Home from the Wake"
3. Chris Eaton & Idris Eaton Reinsborough - "Poor Little Girls of Ontario"
4. Andy Magoffin - "Maiden"
5. Olenka Krakus - "Maggie Howie"
6. Tara Beagan & Henry Adam Svec - "Little Indian Maid"
7. Bryan Pole & Henry Adam Svec - "Discussion About Recording Levels for 'Sally Go Round the Sun'"
8. Bryan Pole - "Sally Go Round the Sun"
II. Men and Shantyboys
9. Ajay Mehra - "Kelly the Pirate"
10. Michael Duguay - "July 4"
11. Henry Adam Svec - "Down by Your Shady Harbour"
12. Ron Leary - "The Hobo's Grave"
13. Laura Barrett - "Save Your Money While You're Young"
14. Wax Mannequin - "Is the Life of a Man Any More Than the Leaves?"
15. Henry Adam Svec - "Old Time Mountain Dew"
III. Nature, Community, Religion, War, and Newfoundland
16. Jenny Omnichord - "When the Ice Worms Nest Again"
17. Andrew Vincent - "How We Got Back to the Woods This Year"
18. Geoff Berner - "Come All Ye Bold Canadians (Song of the War of 1812)"
19. Al Tuck - "The Banks of Newfoundland"
20. Henry Adam Svec - "All Cats Are Grey in the Dark"
21. El Ron Maltan - "Cruiskeen Lawn"
22. Steph Yates - "The Cold Black River Stream"
23. Andrew Sisk - "Is the Life of a Man Any More Than the Leaves?"