Bucharest Nightclub Owners Arrested in Connection to Goodbye to Gravity Pyro Tragedy

Bucharest Nightclub Owners Arrested in Connection to Goodbye to Gravity Pyro Tragedy
Three Bucharest nightclub owners have been arrested in connection to the tragic venue fire that claimed the lives of 31 people and left nearly 200 injured at a Goodbye to Gravity concert last weekend.

Reuters reports that officials have booked Colectiv nightclub owners Costin Mincu, Alin George Anastasescu and Paul Gancea on suspicion of manslaughter for allowing the band to use an unlicensed pyrotechnic display at the concert.

As previously reported, something went awry during the October 30 performance, with the fireworks causing a pillar and the ceiling to catch fire. Concertgoers frantically tried to escape from the club's only exit, with the outcome leaving close to 200 people injured and 31 dead.

The deceased include Goodbye to Gravity guitarists Vlad Telea and Mihai Alexandru, while singer Andrei Galut suffered burns to 45 percent of his body and bassist Alex Pascu underwent emergency surgery.

Prosecutors are now fixing the blame on Colectiv, implying that they should not have let the show go on without a proper permit.

"Data and evidence ... have shown the fire occurred because the people managing the respective space encouraged and allowed a number of people above the club's limit in a space that was not endowed with more emergency exits," prosecutors said.

They added that the owners allowed "a fireworks show in the indoor venue that was improper as it ... contained easily flammable materials illegally installed to avoid additional costs."

Neither Mincu, Anastasescu nor Gancea has commented on the charges.

The country has observed three days of national mourning in the wake of the tragedy, while hundreds of people went to Colectiv yesterday (November 2) to pay their respects. Currently 130 people remain in hospital from their injuries, with 90 of those said to still be in critical condition.

With one of many concerns surrounding the incident apparently being a failure to properly inspect clubs, people have been expressing their anger and frustration over social media via the hashtag #CorruptionKills.