Brooklyn Youth Chorus Get Bryce Dessner, Richard Reed Parry, Tim Hecker, Nico Muhly for 'Black Mountain Songs' LP
Published Feb 14, 2017The Brooklyn Youth Chorus are readying a compilation called Black Mountain Songs for release next month, and the young ensemble of singers has nabbed an impressive list of guest composers and musicians for their debut offering.
Black Mountain Songs is a studio recording of a 2014 live stage show of the same name that was premiered at the Next Wave Festival in Brooklyn, and the album incarnation was co-curated by the National's Bryce Dessner and Arcade Fire's Richard Reed Parry, who both made musical contributions to the record. The former composed and played guitar, while the latter composed, as well as played guitar and bass.
In addition to featured work from Dessner and Parry, Caroline Shaw, Jherek Bischoff, John King, Nico Muhly, Aleksandra Vrebalov and Tim Hecker also composed pieces for the album.
It was produced by Grammy winner Grace Row and recorded over the course of January and March 2015 at Watermusic Recording Studios in Hoboken, NJ, with additional recording sessions taking place at Systems Two Recording Studios in Brooklyn in October 2016.
Black Mountain Songs is due out on March 31 through New Amsterdam Records, and you can see the full tracklisting below. Beyond that, stream the Dessner-helmed title track.
Black Mountain Songs:
1. Black Mountain Song (Bryce Dessner)
2. There is a sound (Richard Reed Parry)
3. Its Motion Keeps (Caroline Shaw)
4. ars imitatur naturam (John King)
5. My World (Bryce Dessner)
6. Bubbles (Aleksandra Vrebalov)
7. Childhood's Retreat (Jherek Bischoff)
8. Fielding Dawson in Franz Kline's Studio (Nico Muhly)
9. Maximus to Gloucester (Bryce Dessner)
10. Spaceship Earth (Richard Reed Parry)
11. M.C. Richards (Tim Hecker and Bryce Dessner)
12. Anni's Constant (Caroline Shaw)
13. Their Passing in Time (Richard Reed Parry)