BC Concertgoer Dies of Suspected Overdose at Shambhala Music Festival

BC Concertgoer Dies of Suspected Overdose at Shambhala Music Festival
A 23-year-old concertgoer from Sidney, BC, died of a suspected overdose this past weekend at the Shambhala Music Festival, the annual outdoor electronic music fest at Salmon River Ranch, BC.

A statement from festival executive producer Corrine Zawaduk [via the CBC] confirmed that the man, whose identity has yet to be revealed, collapsed at a food tent around 5:20 a.m. on Sunday (August 12) morning. He was found unconscious and unresponsive. The death marks the first ever for the Kootenays-region event.

"He was quickly transported to our on-site medical centre where he received a high level of emergency medical treatment from a doctor, a registered nurse, paramedics and several first aid attendants," Zawaduk explained.

Regrettably, the man suffered a heart attack en route to Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital in Trail, BC.

A press release from RCMP cited drug use as the suspected cause of death.

Despite the allegations of drug use, Shambhala bans the use of alcohol and illicit substances at the event. That said, concertgoers are known to smuggle drugs into the festival. Show organizers and the RCMP have countered this by offering a tent which tests the purity of drugs.

The statement from Shambhala organizers said, "At this time our hearts and minds are with the family and friends of the deceased."

This is the second festival death in BC this summer, following last June's suspected stabbing death of Bradley Dean Ross at the Entheos Music festival.