Nicole Richie Celebrates Birthday by Setting Her Hair on Fire
The accidental self-immolation ushered in the star's 40th
Published Sep 22, 2021Nicole Richie had a seriously fire birthday bash this week, as the fashion designer/socialite ushered in her 40th birthday on Tuesday (September 21) by accidentally lighting her hair on fire.
As seen in an Instagram post, Richie rung in her fourth decade surrounded by friends at an outdoor soirée, where the former Simple Life star was served a picture cake lined with candles. As Richie went in to blow out the flame, she happened to lean in closer than she should have and set her hair on fire.
Captioning the video, "Well… so far 40 is 🔥," Richie is heard screaming in the clip as her 'do goes up in smoke.
Her brother-in-law, Good Charlotte's Benji Madden, wished Richie well for her birthday, telling her to "stay lit" in a comment. Similarly, Richie's spouse Joel Madden dropped a "That's hot" in the comments, referencing the star's Simple Life catchphrase.
What's more, celebrity hairstylist Gregory Russell commented, "STOP!!! AGAIN?!?!" suggesting this isn't the first time Richie managed to set herself on fire. Here's hoping someone — perhaps Russell — can help Richie sort out her hairdo in the coming days, and maybe teach her a thing or two about fire safety.
Watch the oopsie unfold in the clip below.