Guy Fieri Raises $20 Million for Restaurant Workers Displaced by COVID-19
Published May 10, 2020Mr. "Flavortown" himself, Guy Fieri, has launched a charity initiative to help restaurant staff stay afloat during the coronavirus pandemic.
In an interview with TMZ, the Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives star spoke at length about his commitment to help fund a grant program for displaced workers in the restaurant business. He has partnered with the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation to collect donations for the Restaurant Employee Relief Fund, which will help to award $500 grants to U.S. food industry staff affected by the pandemic.
"I started thinking about my brothers and sisters in the restaurant business, and a bunch of restaurants that I was closing — we gotta do something," the TV personality explained in an interview with TMZ.
"I started sending personal video invitations to all the heavy-hitter CEOs that are involved in the restaurant business," he said. "As long as the money comes in, we're going to continue to give these grants."
So far, the RERF and Fieri have delivered 40,000 grants and raised over $20 million through the charity program, which they intend to keep running long as necessary. In addition to soliciting donations for the cause, Fieri has also urged restaurant-goers to continue supporting their favourite spots through takeout and delivery services.
"They need your takeout, they need your delivery so if they're available, please go give them some biz," he said. "It helps pay the electricity and insurance."
Watch the video below.