Published Aug 26, 2011The effect that iconic Woody Guthrie has on popular music is incalculable, with countless covering tracks like "This Land Is Your Land" on stages and around campfires worldwide. His songbook is stamped in the minds of numerous musicians, and at least a few of them will prove it with their interpretations of his work on the new compilation Note of Hope.
As TwentyFourBit points out, the tribute record collects 12 songs based around archival writings the singer-songwriter made. Arranged by bassist Rob Wasserman, the collection features a number of heavy hitters, from Lou Reed to Van Dyke Parks to Ani DiFranco. You can check the tracklisting below, as well as Jackson Browne's contribution, "You Know The Night."
Note of Hope comes out September 27 on 429 Records.
In other Guthrie-related news, Wilco and Billy Bragg's third set of the tunesmith's music, following their Mermaid Avenue collections, is set to be released sometime in January on Rounder Records. It will be called New Multitudes.
Also, Guthrie's website reports that a Mermaid Avenue box set collecting both volumes will be issued by Nonesuch next March.
Note of Hope:
1. Van Dyke Park "The Note Of Hope"
2. Madeleine Peyroux "Wild Card In The Hole"
3. Tom Morello "Ease My Revolutionary Mind"
4. Lou Reed "The Debt I Owe"
5. Michael Franti "Union Love Juice"
6. Kurt Elling "Peace Pin Boogie"
7. Ani DiFranco "Voice"
8. Studs Terkel "I Heard A Man Talking"
9. Nellie Mckay "Old Folks"
10. Chris Whitley "On The High Lonesome"
11. Pete Seeger & Tony Trischka "There's A Feeling In Music"
12. Jackson Browne "You Know The Night"