Published May 21, 2014Two years after Light in the Attic delivered their Country Funk 1969-1975 (Volume I) compilation, the label has roped together another set of genre-hoppin', hip-wigglin' C&W artists for a second instalment. Featuring the likes of Willie Nelson, Townes Van Zandt and Dolly Parton, the label's Country Funk Volume II 1967-1974 hustles out of the gate on July 15.
A press release explains that this latest 16-song set of "loose-talking, lap steel-twanging tracks" showcases "white America's heartland music," blending in elements of gospel soul, blues and "inner city grit." Throughout the double-LP set, you'll find other big names like Kenny Rogers, JJ Cale, Bobby Darin and more. Further blending genres, Jackie DeShannon contributes a cover of the Band's "The Weight," while Gene Clark and Doug Dillard dabble in the Beatles catalogue via a rootsy, bouncy take on "Don't Let Me Down."
Lesser-known artists are also featured on the set, like Bill Wilson, Donnie Fritts and Canadian group Great Speckled Bird. Actor/songwriter Hoyt Axton also shows up on the set with his "California Women."
You can check out the tracklisting down below,and sample snippets from the funked-up country comp over here.
As with the first volume, Country Funk Volume II 1967-1974 was compiled by DJ Zach Cowie and Light in the Attic's Matt Sullivan and Patrick McCarthy. In addition to the music, the record comes packaged with a comic book called The Hot Dawgs, which was put together by writer Jessica Hundley and illustrator Jess Rotter.
The double-LP set arrives on black wax, but is also available to pre-order in limited colour pressings. Light in the Attic subscribers can pick up "Sky Blue" wax and a limited-edition bandana; pre-orders are available for a "Lime Green" wax edition, also with a bandana; and a pressing on "gold" vinyl packaged with a bonus 7-inch is available through Light in the Attic's Washington State retail shop. You can also grab the collection on CD.
You'll find more details on the variations over here.
Country Funk Volume II 1967-1974:
1. Billy Swan "Don't Be Cruel"
2. Bob Darin "Me and Mr. Hohner"
3. Hoyt Axton "California Women"
4. Townes Van Zandt "Hunger Child Blues"
5. Thomas Jefferson Kaye "Collection Box"
6. Willie Nelson "Shotgun Willie"
7. Jackie DeShannon "The Weight"
8. Gene Clark & Doug Dillard "Don't Let Me Down"
9. Bill Wilson "Pay Day Give Away"
10. Dolly Parton "Getting Happy"
11. Larry Williams & Johnny Watson with The Kaleidoscope "Nobody"
12. Jim Ford "Rising Sign"
13. JJ Cale "Cajun Moon"
14. Donnie Fritts "Sumpin Funky Going On"
15. Kenny Rogers & The First Edition "Tulsa Turnaround"
16. Great Speckled Bird "Long Long Time To Get Old"
17. Willis Alan Ramsey "Northeast Texas Women"