Wilco's Jay Bennett Died of Overdose: Coroner

Wilco's Jay Bennett Died of Overdose: Coroner
Former Wilco member Jay Bennett died of an overdose of pain killers, according to the coroner's report. Tests show the 45-year-old musician died from a lethal dose of fentanyl, a drug commonly prescribed to treat chronic pain, Champaign County Coroner Duane Northrup told the Associated Press.

Authorities are treating Bennett's death as an accident.

As previously reported, Bennett passed away on May 24 and was found in his home in Urbana, IL.

Before his death, Bennett had reportedly been experiencing chronic hip pain for some time and was planning to have hip replacement surgery. His injuries were the result of an old stage-diving accident.