Published Sep 14, 2012There's been a spate of high-profile tribute albums as of late, as some big-name artists have contributed to recent discs celebrating Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple and the Black Keys. Soon, classic rock icons the Who will receive a similar treatment with Who Are You: An All-Star Tribute to the Who, which is due out on October 2 through Cleopatra Records
Much of the 16-song tracklist is made up of supergroup-style collaborative performances. Among the artists who pop up at various points on the album are Dave Davies of the Kinks, K.K. Downing of Judas Priest, Ginger Baker of Cream, Todd Rundgren, Joe Elliott of Def Leppard, Randy Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Gretchen WIlson, Wayne Kramer of MC5, David Cross of King Crimson and Ian Paice of Deep Purple, among others.
There are also a few non-collaborative performances. The artists who receive single-billing here include Iggy Pop, the Raveonettes and Sweet. See the full tracklist below.
Speaking of the Who, they're going to take their 1973 album Quadrophenia on a North American tour this fall and winter. The full schedule is here.
Who Are You: An All-Star Tribute to the Who:
1. John Wetton (Asia), K.K. Downing (Judas Priest), Derek Sherinian (Black Country Communion) - "Eminence Front"
2. Nektar, Jerry Goodman (Mahavishnu Orchestra) - "Baba O'Riley"
3. Mark Lindsay (Paul Revere and the Raiders) and Wayne Kramer (MC5) - "I Can See for Miles"
4. Joe Elliott (Def Leppard), Rick Wakeman, Huw Lloyd-Langton (Hawkwind) and Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge) - "Love Reign O'er Me"
5. Knox (Vibrators), Dave Davies (The Kinks) and Rat Scabies (The Damned) - "My Generation"
6. The Raveonettes - "The Kids Are Alright"
7. Sweet - "Won't Get Fooled Again"
8. Todd Rundgren and Carmine Appice - "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere"
9. Iggy Pop - "I Can't Explain"
10. Pat Travers - "Behind Blue Eyes"
11. Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits), Peter Banks (Yes) and Ginger Baker (Cream) - "Magic Bus"
12. Gretchen Wilson and Randy Bachman (Bachman-Turner Overdrive) - "Who Are You"
13. Terry Reid, Mike Pinera (Blues Image), Brad Gillis (Night Ranger) - "Pinball Wizard"
14. John Wesley (Porcupine Tree) and David Cross (King Crimson) - "Squeeze Box"
15. .38 Special, Ted Turner (Wishbone Ash) and Ian Paice (Deep Purple) - "Bargain"
16. Joe Lynn Turner and Leslie West (Mountain) - "The Seeker"